Welcome to St. Mark!

Loving God & Loving Others

History

Believing in God’s Word and Spirit

On November 6, 1931, a small group of people holding a prayer meeting decided to start a church. With great vision and hope, this group called the Reverend J. S. Stokes as their Pastor, purchased land on 11th Street North, and named their humble gathering St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church.
In 1932, the Reverend James Atkinson was called as St. Mark’s second Pastor, and it was under his direction that the first Sunday School was organized, as well as the church’s first choir, and so the construction of the first sanctuary.